Belkin commits to being 100% Carbon Neutral by 2025
Belkin International has announced a plan to become 100% carbon neutral in scope 2 emissions by 2025.
Having already achieved a number of sustainability goals for 2020, Belkin sets its sights even higher by aligning 2025 corporate goals with several of the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals – climate action, responsible consumption and production, and peace, justice and strong institutions.
In its 2020 Sustainability Report, Belkin details its 5-year timeline outlining how it will achieve its sustainability objectives around climate change, packaging, electronic waste, governance and reporting.
To support these efforts, Belkin has established a Sustainability Committee, a group of VP-level “eco-warriors” within the organisation to keep the company accountable to its objectives. Steve Malony, CEO, Belkin International, is the executive sponsor of this Committee.
“While we take pride in our achievements and sustainability efforts over the past four decades, we’re always looking ahead, setting new goals, and reaching for higher standards,” said Mr Malony. “Our organisation is made up of people who want to leave the planet a better place for our children and future generations. We remain forever and authentically passionate about renewing our commitment to a circular economy and carbon neutrality and continuing our pledge to support the Paris Agreement.”
Belkin’s 2025 Sustainability Goals:
Climate Action (UN Goal 13) – A pledge to take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact.
- The company signed America is All In to acknowledge its commitment to the Paris agreement.
- It will become 100% carbon neutral in scope 2 emissions by 2025.
- Belkin will also work towards carbon neutrality in Scope 1 & 3 emissions.
Packaging and E-Waste (UN Goal 12) – The pledge to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Belkin aims to reduce 25% single use plastic packaging by the end of 2025 based on its 2019 benchmark.
- It will transition to FSC certified paper for all retail packaging.
- The company will use 30% recycled content on all plastic packaging where removal of plastic packaging is not viable.
- Management acknowledges EU’s objective to drive towards a more circular economy and will explore ways to reduce its e-waste footprint by weight in terms of plastic reduction and recycled content.
- Belkin will have validated recycled content in its product to move towards a circular economy by prioritizing key materials such as copper and tin.
Human Rights (UN Goal 16) – Striving to promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies.
- Belkin’s parent company is a founding member of the RBA and has adopted and implemented RBA standards in its internal policies and processes.
- 100% of all Belkin suppliers must comply with the Supplier Code of Conduct.
- 100% of all Belkin suppliers must complete a social compliance audit every two years.
Photo – Bill Oxford / Unsplash